Articles and FAQs
These articles and FAQs were authored by Williams Kherkher attorneys and law clerks to help inform the public about common legal issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I really need an attorney to help me with my case?
- How long do I have to file an injury claim?
- When should I contact an attorney about my accident/injury?
- Who is responsible for the 18-wheeler accident that left me injured?
- What is my case worth?
- If my spouse was killed in an accident, am I eligible for compensation?
Asbestos / Mesothelioma
- I haven’t worked with asbestos in years – will I still be able to file a claim?
- How can I find out whether I have been exposed to asbestos?
- How long will my mesothelioma case take?
- What if I was exposed to asbestos while working for a company that no longer exists?
- What do I need to file a claim?
- Am I eligible to earn overtime pay?
- How do oil and gas companies try to avoid paying overtime?
- How can I tell if I am actually an independent contractor?
- Why should I pursue an unpaid overtime claim?
- What will I need in order to file my unpaid overtime claim?
- What are the most common causes of refinery accidents?
- Why do I need an attorney if I was injured in a refinery accident?
- How does workers’ compensation affect my case?
Wills, Estate, & Probate
- Durable general power of attorney
- Durable power of attorney for health care
- Directive to physicians (living will)
- Last will and testament
- Probate and estate administration
The Lawsuit Process
- Step 1. Choosing or changing attorneys
- Step 2. Preparing the case
- Step 3. Going to trial
- Step 4. Appeals and remands
- Step 5. Costs and monetary awards
- Advance directives — make the decision yourself, by Adriana Cortes
- Are you getting the overtime pay you’re entitled to?, by Steven J. Kherkher
- Three deadly myths about railroad crossings, by John Fabry
- What you need to know before vaccinating your child, by Thao Ho
- The top five reasons why everyone should have a will
- Mandatory arbitration clauses – what you need to know, by Leah Rush
- Five Household Appliances that Pose a Hazard