John Boundas, Partner at Williams Kherkher Hart Boundas, LLP, has always defied the odds. John graduated first in his class at the University of Iowa College of Law, and then proceeded to come to Texas and receive the second highest score statewide on the 1995 Texas State Bar Exam. Following law school, he interned at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. and was recognized by the Department of Justice for “outstanding” performance. From 1995-1996, he clerked for the Hon. Milton I. Shadur of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago.
John joined the litigation section of Fulbright & Jaworski, L.L.P. in 1996, where he worked on many different types of litigation matters, including securities, antitrust, trademark, breach of contract and personal injury litigation. In 2001, John joined Williams Kherkher, where he has represented clients in a variety of personal injury cases as well as representing numerous individuals injured by the prescription drugs fen-phen and Vioxx. In fact, John headed up the firm’s litigation against Merck over Vioxx.
Yet even with this impressive body of work and history of success in arguing everything from personal injury suits to pro-bono civil rights cases, John had yet to face his biggest adversary, cancer.
In 2004 John was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma while trying a case. “It was my third straight trial in a row in Philadelphia. I didn’t really feel well and thought ‘OK, this is what stress is like.'” A nurse/paralegal working on the case with him saw him going upstairs and noticed he had to stop midway. She convinced him to see a doctor who found a large mass in his chest during surgery which turned out to be cancer. Never one to take it easy, John endured regular chemo sessions and a period of daily radiation which helped him fight his way into remission just seven months after his initial diagnosis.
During his fight, there were many times that John was out of the office, too weak to work. “The firm was really supportive and helpful. It is a family around here and that is what we extend to our clients; a family atmosphere. I think that is what makes us different from other firms and while I was out fighting, I experienced the other side of that, the support, understanding and encouragement that we reserve for clients.” John received an extra bit of encouragement when he got a visit from the firm’s senior partner, John Eddie Williams. “John Eddie flew up to see me after my surgery and threatened to take away my Blackberry if I tried to do any work.”
The Chicago native and University of Michigan grad gained perspective during this time, “You learn to stop more than you did and look at the big picture,” says John. This is what also drives him, “I see the big picture and realize that people do not need to be hurt or affected so others can cut corners just to make outrageous profits. That is why we do what we do. We try and make sure that people can stand up against companies, corporations and individuals that have mistreated them or been negligent.”
Contact John or any Williams Kherkher attorney today to learn more about your legal rights.
Areas of Practice
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Defective Medical Products Litigation
- Complex Mass Tort Litigation
- John interned at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. From 1995-1996, he clerked for the Hon. Milton I. Shadur of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago.
- John joined the litigation section of Fulbright & Jaworski, L.L.P. in 1996, where he worked on many different types of litigation matters including securities, antitrust, trademark, breach of contract and personal injury litigation. Joined Williams Kherkher in 2001 and has represented clients in a variety of personal injury cases. Represented numerous individuals injured by the prescription drugs fen-phen and Vioxx.
- J.D. University of Iowa College of Law, 1995 – Graduated first in class; Received the second highest score statewide on the Texas State Bar examination, 1995
- B.A. University of Michigan, 1991
Legal Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Houston and American Bar Associations
- State Bar of Texas
- American Association for Justice
- 2009-2014 Super Lawyers, by Thomson Reuters
- 2004 and 2009 Super Lawyers Rising Stars, by Thomson Reuters
- Recognized by the Department of Justice for “outstanding” performance
- Named a 2015 Top Mass Tort/Toxic Tort Lawyer in H-Texas Magazine
Licensed to Practice
- State of Texas
- State of Illinois
- State of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Western and Northern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- John is a cancer survivor