Protonix (Pantoprazole) Lawsuit
If you or your loved one is suffering from any kind of kidney injury caused by the use of Protonix, you will want to seek legal representation as soon as possible. The dangerous pharmaceutical product attorneys at Williams Kherkher handle many kinds of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) claims, including Protonix lawsuits.
Our firm has been helping injury victims since 1983. We believe in fighting for people harmed by dangerous or defective drugs.
Over the years, Williams Kherkher has secured many verdicts and settlements worth billions of dollars. Protonix has already been the subject of multiple legal claims in the United States, and a few of the recent decisions include:
$784.6 Million – Pfizer Inc. – 2016 – False and Fraudulent Prices
- The Department of Justice announced in April 2016 that pharmaceutical companies Wyeth and Pfizer Inc. agreed to pay $784.6 million to resolve allegations that Wyeth knowingly reported to the government false and fraudulent prices on two of its PPIs, Protonix Oral and Protonix IV. Pfizer acquired Wyeth approximately three years after Wyeth ended this conduct.
$55 Million – Pfizer Inc. – 2012 – Off-Label Advertising
- After promoting a Protonix for off-label use as a treatment of other forms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”), Pfizer had pay $55 million plus interest to resolve allegations that Wyeth LLC (which Pfizer acquired eight years later) illegally introduced and caused the introduction into interstate commerce of a misbranded drug.
$7.9 Million – AstraZeneca – 2015 – Kickbacks to Pharmacy Benefit Managers
- AstraZeneca paid Medco Health Solutions to make its PPI the only one covered by the pharmacy benefits management company, which constituted prohibited kickbacks. The United States government sued, and AstraZeneca settled the lawsuit for $7.9 million.
$20 Million – AstraZeneca – 2015 – Deceptive Advertising
- An advertising campaign that exaggerated the differences between two of AstraZeneca’s largely identical PPIs, Nexium and Prilosec, led to AstraZeneca having to pay $20 million to settle another lawsuit.
$24 Million – Teva Pharmaceuticals – 2015 – Paying Off Competition
- When generic pharmaceutical manufacturer Teva Pharmaceuticals accepted money from AstraZeneca to delay the production of generic forms of a PPI, Teva paid $24 million to settle an ensuing class action lawsuit.
These settlements are only recent examples of legal action concerning PPIs. Every case is different, and your own case may have a variety of unique factors that can impact your ultimate compensation award.
What is Protonix?
Pantoprazole is a drug sold under the brand name Protonix used for the treatment of inflammation of the esophagus associated with GERD, as well as other conditions such as Zollinger–Ellison syndrome. Protonix is manufactured by Pfizer Inc.
Reuters reported that Protonix recorded peak annual revenue of almost $2 billion in 2007 before sales plunged after generic versions were launched. In 2013, Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. agreed to pay Pfizer $2.15 billion to settle a patent suit related to the generic drugmakers marketing a copy of the existing drug before the patent expired—otherwise known as an “at-risk launch.”
Some studies have determined that PPIs such as Protonix may cause serious kidney damage, disease, or failure. As a result, a growing number of people have legal claims against Pfizer.
If you or your loved one suffered kidney damage because of Protonix use, make sure you quickly retain legal counsel. You can have the attorneys of Williams Kherkher review your case and help you understand all of your legal options when you call (888) 220-0640 to schedule a free consultation.
You Could Be Owed Compensation
Before a drug manufacturer submits a drug to the FDA for approval, the manufacturer must conduct a number of tests to determine a drug’s safety. When the drugmaker places the drug in the market, it must make sure that warnings are provided for consumers that outline possible side effects.
All responsibility for the accuracy of warning labels ultimately rests with the manufacturer, not the FDA. The manufacturer can be held liable for failure to fulfill these obligations.
Chronic Kidney Disease and Protonix
While the side effects most commonly associated with Protonix were once diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, joint pain, and abdominal pain, recent research has found that PPIs such as Protonix can cause severe kidney damage. Kidneys help control a person’s pH levels, make red blood cells, and remove wastes and extra fluid.
Some victims may suffer chronic kidney disease (CKD), which can involve such symptoms as:
- High blood pressure
- Decreased mental sharpness
- Chest pain
- Sleep problems
- Muscle twitches
- Shortness of breath
Certain individuals with abnormal kidney structure or a family history of kidney disease may be predisposed to CDK risks. Diabetes, smoking, old age, and obesity can also increase a person’s risk of CKD.
Pregnant women face a special kind of risk because CDK can affect the health of a mother as well as her unborn child. CDK can involve numerous complications, including damage to the central nervous system and decreased immune response, increasing vulnerability to infection.
Additional complications can include:
- Weakened bones and increased risk of fractures
- Fluid retention issues that cause pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), swelling in the arms and legs, or high blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Hyperkalemia (increased potassium levels in the blood that could impede heart function)
- Pericarditis, or swelling and irritation of the pericardium, the thin sac-like membrane surrounding the heart
CKD may cause irreversible damage, such as kidney failure or end-stage renal disease (ESRD), which can lead to victims requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant.
Victims should always discuss kidney issues relating to Protonix with their doctors in order to determine the best method of treatment. It can also be beneficial to contact an attorney.
Why Choose Williams Kherkher?
Williams Kherkher has been helping injury victims for over 35 years. We are committed to protecting and defending the rights of individuals.
Our firm can immediately handle a number of matters on your behalf, including all conversations and negotiations with insurance companies. If a drug company or its insurer refuses to provide a full and fair settlement, we can file a lawsuit.
When you work with Williams Kherkher, you will know you are dealing with a firm that has all of the experience and resources necessary to help you achieve the most favorable possible outcome to your case.
We know and appreciate the many ways that Protonix complications can alter a person’s life, and we will fight to help you get justice. Let our lawyers see what we can do for you by contacting our firm to set up a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many people have a variety of questions about what to expect in a legal case for a Protonix claim. You can find answers to some of the most common questions below.
Call (888) 220-0640 if you have questions you do not see listed here.
Contact a Protonix Lawsuit Attorney Today
If you or your loved one has suffered from CKD or any other kind of kidney injury because of Protonix use, do not wait to seek legal representation. Contact the proton pump inhibitor attorneys at Williams Kherkher as soon as possible.
Our firm will fight to help you recover every last dollar of compensation you are entitled to. Williams Kherkher has been helping injury victims for more than three decades. Call (888) 220-0640 to have our lawyers provide a complete evaluation of your case during a free consultation.